Providing Unique Commentary and Insight into Politics, History and Society since 2005

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Gibbons Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

I have dedicated myself to re-reading the entire UNABRIDGED version, all six volumes this year. I have decided to begin tonight and read a little bit every night until I finish. I will point out that the idea to re-read the entire series came from Robert Caro's Master of the Senate where he described Senator Richard Russell, as a loner and a devotee of reading Gibbon over and over again. I see myself in the same light when it comes to Gibbon but have distaste for Russell's Southernism, general conservatism and defense of racial segregation. (He was a new dealer at one time but that was only to promote welfare for the south.....it's funny how conservative southerners continue to benefit the most from the largess of Government while attacking government as evil) In short I in no way see myself as an heir to Richard Russell, but do appreciate his sense of the history of Rome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well good luck. It has always been a desire of mine to read the work along with War and Peace, but it looks like I won't do it. I do hope to re-read the Lord of the Rings again before the decade is out. Not quite the same,I know.

The real problem is that with 24/7 sports, news, and video on demand, and trying to keep up with the latest tech news who can find time to read the newspaper let alone a short novel.

Anonymous said...

I began to read it one day ago, starting from Chapter III, Volume I.

Canes Rising Headlines

The Kartik Report

CSRN's American Soccer Spot

Blog Archive

About Me

I am the host of the Major League Soccer Talk and EPL Talk Podcasts and am frequent guest on other (world) football shows. I am also the publisher of various other websites including this one. I work in public/government relations in addition to my soccer work and have a keen interest in history, politics, aviation, travel,and the world around us.

Widgetbox