- Charlie Crist raised $1.1 million in a Tampa fundraiser. http://www.sptimes.com/2005/05/27/news_pf/State/Crist_raises_11_milli.shtml
- The very dangerous Randal Terry who had fallen off the face of the earth for several years returned to the spotlight as a right wing hero during the Terry Schiavo saga. Terry who ran against rural upstate New York Congressman Sherwood Boehlert ( a pro-choice Republican who is also on of the capitol's most ardent Environmentalists) in the a GOP primary during the 1990s has now moved to the Jacksonville area and is planning on challenging Jim King in next year's GOP Primary. http://www.palmbeachpost.com/state/content/state/epaper/2005/05/27/a11a_terry_0527.html
- The John Bolton nomination to be Ambassador to the United Nations is on hold until after the Memorial Day recess. The GOP leadership failed to get cloture (thus limiting debate) on the nominee. Senator Joe Biden had led the opposition to Bolton but has stated he has no intention of filibustering the nominee. I am far from a fan of United Nations, and in fact believe that the organization has become a tool of some in the third world to spread anti-American propoganda and hatred. (and yes, I am a Democrat depsite that view) Nonetheless, Bolton is the wrong man for the job, not because he is a UN critic, but because he was a mastermind of faulty premises for which we engaged in the conflict in Iraq.
- 1776 has gotten rave reviews from pundits across the country. I have yet to buy a copy as I am still immersed in Ron Chernow's book on Alexander Hamilton.
- I was thrilled to see Liverpool come from behind and defeat AC Milan in the Champions League final Wednesday night in Istanbul. Liverpool finished 5th in the FA Premier League and thus finished out of the top 4 spots that a rewarded with an automatic Champions League birth for next season. I hope that UEFA does the right thing and finds a way for Liverpool to compete next year without taking a spot from crosstown rival Everton who had a great season finishing 4th in the FA P.L.
Providing Unique Commentary and Insight into Politics, History and Society since 2005
Friday, May 27, 2005
Random Thoughts and Headlines
- I am the host of the Major League Soccer Talk and EPL Talk Podcasts and am frequent guest on other (world) football shows. I am also the publisher of various other websites including this one. I work in public/government relations in addition to my soccer work and have a keen interest in history, politics, aviation, travel,and the world around us.