Florida is the battleground in the US House. Florida has become what Ohio, Pennsylvania and even in recent times Texas or Illinois has become: a test as to whether a congressional election is actually a wave election. For example in 1996, when Bill Clinton was re-elected he found himself embroiled in a campaign fund raising scandal which turned a potential Democratic rout, into a Republican year in everything but the Presidential race. (The Dems actually picked up House seats but almost all were against fluke GOP winners from two years earlier: almost every close race cut towards the GOP that year.) Now in 2008, Florida will test whether or not this is truly a wave election.
Here are the congressional races to watch in Florida:
- Incumbent Republican Tom Feeney vs Suzanne Kosmas (FL-24)
- Incumbent Republican Ric Keller vs Alan Grayson (FL-8)
- Incumbent Republican Vern Buchanan vs Christine Jennings (FL-13)
- Incumbent Republican Lincoln Diaz Balart vs Raul Martinez (FL-21)
- Incumbent Republican Mario Diaz Balart vs Joe Garcia (FL-25)