Providing Unique Commentary and Insight into Politics, History and Society since 2005

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Winter Reading

The last year or two I have really slacked off in my reading of books- political and historical biographies as well as commentaries on contemporary society. I have replaced this with reading every news magazine available. I've become an avid reader of both the Atlantic Monthly and Harpers as well as renewing my reading of the Washintgon Monthly which I gave up reading years ago.

But this year I am returning to reading books, and with the exception of David Halberstam's new masterpiece on the Korean War, they are all books I have read before. Here is my winter reading list.

  • Politics of Rich and Poor- Kevin Phillips
  • The Rise and Fall of Great Powers- Paul Kennedy
  • The Fall of the Roman Empire- Michael Grant
  • The Path to Power, Means of Ascent and Master of the Senate- Robert Caro.

The first three books on the list all have analytical and unique looks at phenom that have been heavily written about but not with the rich detail of the named authors. The last line- the trilogy masterpiece by Robert Caro is the most complete, best written societal and political biographies of our time.

No comments:

Canes Rising Headlines

The Kartik Report

CSRN's American Soccer Spot

Blog Archive

About Me

I am the host of the Major League Soccer Talk and EPL Talk Podcasts and am frequent guest on other (world) football shows. I am also the publisher of various other websites including this one. I work in public/government relations in addition to my soccer work and have a keen interest in history, politics, aviation, travel,and the world around us.

Widgetbox